Februar 3, 2009
This anachronistic stone castle, called the Gassaway Mansion is one of Greenville’s most astonishing buildings. This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and strangely blends several architectural styles. It was built between 1920 and 1924 by Walter and Minnie Gassaway for $ 790,000 and was composed in part of stones gathered in 1919 from the old Vardy McBee grits mill. The grits mill was located in downtown Greenville along the Reedy River and dates back to 1776. Additional stones were brought in and were treated to match.
Prominent interior features of the mansion include 22,000 square feet, 5 floors, and 40 rooms, a grand, sweeping mahogany staircase, Waterford crystal chandeliers, rich cherry woodwork, wood paneling and flooring from New York, tiles from Italy, and stained glass windows from Tiffany’s.
The Greenville Art Association purchased the house in 1958 for use as a art museum. Because the house could no longer accommodate the growing art collection in the 70’s, the Art Association built a new Art Museum on Heritage Green and moved in spring 1974.
In 1977 the house was used as a church school by the Emanuel Temple. Today the mansion functions as an event facility for weddings.
The house is located at: 106 Dupoint Drive, Greenville, SC
© Flavia Westerwelle