August 13, 2009
Lake Keowee is a man-made reservoir created by Keowee Dam and Little River Dam, impounding the Keowee River and the Little River. It was constructed by Duke Power Company to be used as cooling water for three nuclear reactors located at the Oconee Nuclear Generating Station which are owned by Duke Energy Corporation.
Lake Keowee is located predominately in Oconee County, but extends also into Pickens County of South Carolina.
Keowee means „Place of the Mulberries“ in the language of the Lower Cherokee Nation.
The lake has been named after the capital of the Lower Cherokee Nation, Town Keowee, which is now submerged beneath the waters of Lake Keowee. The first European to visit Town Keowee was the Spanish explorer Hernando DeSoto when he passed through the area in 1540.
Lake Keowee with its mountainous surroundings is now a popular destination for boating, fishing, water-skiing, swimming, camping and picnicking with 18,370 acres of water and a 300-mile shoreline.
© Flavia Westerwelle